Benefits to Raising Happy Healthy Kids
There are many benefits to raising happy and healthy kids:
- Improved physical health: Kids who are happy and healthy are more likely to have a strong immune system and be less prone to illness.
- Improved mental health: Happy and healthy kids are more likely to have a positive outlook on life, be resilient, and have better mental health.
- Better academic performance: Kids who are happy and healthy tend to have better concentration, memory, and problem-solving skills, which can lead to better academic performance.
- Stronger social connections: Happy and healthy kids are more likely to have strong relationships with their peers and adults, which can lead to a sense of belonging and a supportive social network.
- Increased self-esteem: Kids who feel good about themselves are more likely to have a positive self-image and high self-esteem.
- Improved overall well-being: Kids who are happy and healthy tend to have a greater sense of well-being and satisfaction with life.
Happy Healthy Kids Are More Likely to Become Accomplished Adults
While stories of kids overcoming their upbringing prevail as feel-good stories, the truth is, your child is more likely to become an accomplished adult if they are happy and healthy as children.
- Be The Example – If you want happy, healthy kids, you need to be a happy, healthy adult. Show them how it looks to be happy and healthy by demonstrating what it takes and what it’s like. Kids watch you even when they act like they’re not. They also emulate you more than you know, even when you’re not around.
- Treat Your Kids as Individuals – Even though you have your own principles, morals, and values that you have every right to pass down to your children, remember they’re not a carbon copy of you, their siblings, or their friends. They have a right to explore ideas and options outside of yours in a safe way.
- Demonstrate Empathy – One of the most important emotions humans have is the ability to put themselves in someone else’s shoes without actually having to experience the situation. First, however, it has to be taught. Demonstrate to your children how it looks to be empathetic, and they will also become more compassionate.
- Show Respect – If you want your children to behave in a courteous way to others, show them how it’s done by extending your respect to them. For example, don’t yell at them and treat them in a way you would not want others to do.
- Be Mindful and Present – When you’re with your family, turn off your electronics and really be with them. The more present you can be at the moment and the more mindful you can be about the time you spend with your kids, the more they’re going to be able to compartmentalize their life too.
- Share Your Feelings – Talking about feelings is a great way to help your children manage their emotions when you are in an angry state that you are angry and why. When you’re sad, state why. Please don’t leave the feelings to interpretation as they grow. This is going to help them identify their own emotions as well as understand you better.
- Eliminate Distractions – Inside your home, build an environment that is free from clutter and other distractions. Home should be a haven that feels good to be in. Keeping it calm and without distractions will improve everyone’s experience.
- Follow The Science – When you want to make choices in life for yourself or your kids, it’s best to follow the scientific consensus of the time. Your kids have to navigate a world with social media, 24/7 news, and so much that if you don’t help them learn fact from fiction at a young age will make it hard for them to navigate as adults.
- Needs Over Wants – Remember to focus on providing your kids what they need more than what they want. Your needs come before their wants, and their needs come before yours.
Parents, good, bad, or indifferent, are the most influential people in a child’s life and have a lot more control over whether your kids are healthy and happy than anyone else. So, focusing on living your best life in the most principled way will rub off on your kids and create happier and healthier kids.